Titling of Used Vehicles


Thank you for your patience during this covid craziness, it is greatly appreciated! Wearing a mask helps me protect you, and you protect me.


We are now open to the general public and have resumed our normal hours of 8 am to 4:30 pm, we take rotating lunches so that we can help you during lunch hours. We strongly encourage everyone that has transactions that can be handled through the mail to do so! This will really help to keep the Motor Vehicle office and hallway compliant with social distancing and will help to keep employees & patrons healthy, safe & feeling secure in their surroundings!
Thank you!

Our phone number is 785-229-3455.

Email the Motor Vehicle Department

Our fax number is 785-229-3461.

Applications for a title must originate in the local County Motor Vehicle office in the county where the vehicle is garaged. Military or full-time college students may register at their legal residence or their stationed address.

A vehicle must be registered within 60 days from the date of purchase or penalty will be charged.

Documents Required

  • Properly assigned title (notarization is no longer required in Kansas).
  • Kansas sales tax receipt is required when purchased from a Kansas dealer.
  • Bill of Sale when purchased from out-of-state dealer.
  • Affidavit of Purchase Price (TR-11) when title has no line for purchase price.
  • A Motor Vehicle Examination (MVE-1) on out-of-state titles from the Kansas Highway Patrol. The Highway Patrol is located at East Highway 68 at KDOT. Office hours for MVE-1 examinations are Monday 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and Thursday 9:00 am to 12:00 pm

Other Inspection Options

The following are required for the MVE-1 examination: 

1. The vehicle

2. Title

3. $20 cash or check for regular titles and $25 cash or check for salvage titles.

MVE-1 can be processed with any Kansas highway patrol that has the forms.

  • Proof of current insurance for each vehicle.
  • Transfer of Death (TOD) party's name and address if desired on title.
  • Lien release if lien shows on the seller's title.

The State of Kansas now holds, in electronic format, any title that has a lien attached until the lien is paid off. It is called an E-Title.