Our phone number is 785-229-3455.
Email the Motor Vehicle Department
Our fax number is 785-229-3461.
Applications for a title must originate in the local County Motor Vehicle office in the county where the vehicle is garaged. Military or full-time college students may register at their legal residence or their stationed address.
A vehicle must be registered within 60 days from the date of purchase or penalty will be charged.
- Properly assigned title (notarization is no longer required in Kansas).
- Kansas sales tax receipt is required when purchased from a Kansas dealer.
- Bill of Sale when purchased from out-of-state dealer.
- Affidavit of Purchase Price (TR-11) when title has no line for purchase price.
- A Motor Vehicle Examination (MVE-1) on out-of-state titles from the Kansas Highway Patrol. The Highway Patrol is located at East Highway 68 at KDOT. Office hours for MVE-1 examinations are Monday 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and Thursday 9:00 am to 12:00 pm.
- Transfer of Death (TOD) party's name and address if desired on title.
Other Inspection Options
The following are required for the MVE-1 examination:
1. The vehicle
3. Proof of current insurance for each vehicle.
4. Lien release if lien shows on the seller's title.
The State of Kansas now holds, in electronic format, any title that has a lien attached until the lien is paid off. It is called an E-Title.