Renewal of License Plates Registration

Our phone number is 785-229-3455.
Email the Motor Vehicle Department|
Our fax number is 785-229-3461.


Renewal of regular vehicle Registrations and Antique registration renewals:

In addition to being able to renew your registrations in the Motor Vehicle Office you can also choose from 3 methods that do not require you to visit the office. If you have no changes in name, address or vehicle you can mail in your renewal, deposit your renewal paperwork in

the County drop box or you can process them online as an e-tag. It is strongly encouraged that this practice continue after we are open to the general public.

Our mailing address is: 315 S Main Street, Room 107, Ottawa KS 66067-2335.

The County drop box is located on the front lawn on Main Street; it is stainless steel and is on a pedestal.

If you are using the mail or the drop box option please include a copy of your insurance card, your phone number on at least one of the documents, and your renewal form from the State of Kansas. Obviously do not put cash in the mail or the drop box, only checks or money orders!

Online e-tag instructions are on your renewal.

So, please bear with us during this time, if we are not answering phone calls, we are doing all the behind the scenes work that the public never sees. We are taking care of lien releases, approving title work, antique tag renewals, handicap placards, commercial vehicle registrations, fleet registrations, processing mail, drop box items and e-tags. (You may do your e-tags online through the State of Kansas & the iKan payment system, but we are the ones who actually process and mail them to you!) Stay tuned for any changes! If you have not found the information that you need here please call 785-229-3455 or email us.

Thank you for your patience, and be sure to check out the Franklin County Government page on Facebook, changes and updates are posted there regularly!

Please don't put off renewing your registration(s) till the last week/day!

Special plates may require an additional form. Such as: disabled plates require a Recertification form every three years, Educational Institute plates and Children's Trust plates require paid receipt letter from the institution every year, and National Guard plates require the signed form from their Commanding Officer certifying assignment in National Guard or a copy of the individual's Armed Forces identification card every year and Fire Fighters require signed form from the Chief each year.

Print your Vehicle Renewal

Last names beginning with __ register in month ___ as follows:


February 28 (or 29)


March 31

C - D

April 30

E - F - G

May 31

H - I

June 30

J - K - L

July 31

M - N - O

August 31

P - Q - R

September 30


October 31

T - V - W

November 30

U - X - Y - Z

December 31