Building Department Requirements and Permits
Building Contractors Courtesy List
List of contractors for the various building trades.
Building Permit Application
The Building Department is responsible for administering regulations adopted by Franklin County as the minimum standards for construction of new buildings, additions, remodeling or repair, and/or change of use for existing buildings. Upon receipt of a BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION, a review of the plans for most proposed buildings is required before a permit can be issued and construction is started.
The various Building Permit Applications are available in the Planning & Building Department Office or for you can fill out the following pdf documents and either email them to the Building Official or print them off:
- for a NEW RESIDENCE / ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS / COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE / INDUSTRIAL STRUCTURE click HERE
- for an ACCESSORY STRUCTURE (i.e. garage; carport; shed; solar panels; etc) click HERE
- for an ADDITION / REMODEL / REPAIR / BASEMENT FINISH click HERE
- for an ELECTRICAL PERMIT click HERE
For a list of required documents when submitting an application for an ACCESSORY STRUCTURE/POLE BARN click HERE.
Click HERE for a pdf of the requirements and regulations for ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS (ADUs).
For a list of required documents when submitting an application for a new RESIDENCE click HERE.
For a list of required documents when submitting an application for a MODULAR HOME click HERE.
For a list of required documents when submitting an application for a MOBILE HOME click HERE.
Building Setback Requirements
Click HERE fore pdf of the building setback requirements for each Zoning District.
MINI HOMES- Small dwelling units designed for living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation. Such structures must be built within the scope of the currently adopted Building Codes of Franklin County, including frost depth footings, energy efficiency, and minimum room sizes and ceiling heights.
Such units must be provided with an approved water supply (Cased well or Rural Water) and permanent sanitation system. (Waterless toilets and portable sanitary units are only approved in limited temporary uses and by Special Use Permit for limited times.)
HUNTING CABINS- will be treated as MINI-HOMES.
NON CONVENTIONAL CONSTRUCTION-Such as Cargo Containers, Earth Covered homes etc. must be submitted with Kansas Engineer stamp for review and must meet all other Code requirements.
PERMIT ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING: (However all zoning requirements and set-backs still apply.)
- Detached one (1) story structures less than 200 sq. ft. in size and not used for habitable space.
- Small repair projects not requiring structural alterations.
- Agricultural Buildings (NOTE: Agricultural is based on use of the structure, not the type of building).
You also may want to review these RESIDENTIAL PLAN REVIEW REQUIREMENTS, which are also in pdf format, by clicking HERE.
Franklin County has adopted the following model codes.
2003 edition of the International Building Code
2003 edition of the International Residential Code
2003 edition of the International Plumbing Code
2003 edition of the International Mechanical Code
2002 edition of the National Electrical Code
Here is a link to the ICC Codes. You can read the codes however, it does not allow you to print anything.
Make sure and select the 2003 edition.
Electrical Permit Application
Upon receipt of an ELECTRICAL PERMIT APPLICATION, a review of the proposed electrical work is required before a permit can be issued and work can begin. The Electrical Permit Application is available in the Planning & Building Department Office or you can fill out the application in pdf format by clicking here and print it off.
If you have any questions regarding what is required to be submitted with the Electrical Permit Application you can contact the Building Department at (785) 229-3570.
Spray Foam Insulation Requirements
If you have any questions regarding what is required to be submitted with the Building Permit Application you can contact the Building Department at (785) 229-3570 or you can download the requirements in pdf format by clicking here.
Building Permits on Minimum Maintenance Roads
On November 27th, 2006 the Board of County Commissioners adopted Resolution #06-075 restricting the issuance of building permit for non-agricultural structures where direct access to the site was from a minimum maintenance road unless the affected property owner agreed to upgrade the minimum maintenance road to the required County road standards.
If you have any questions regarding the issuance of a building permit on a minimum maintenance road you can contact the Planning & Building Department at (785) 229-3570 or you can download the resolution in pdf format by clicking here.
Building Permit Fees
Building permit fees are based on different factors, such as the type of structure being built and the square footage of a new residence. Please review the Building Permit fee schedule in pdf format by clicking here or contact the Planning & Building Department at 785-229-3570 for more information.
Franklin County requires that a property owner have permission from the Public Works Department before any entrance is established or reconstructed. The landowner has the option of obtaining a permit and installing or reconstructing an entrance or paying the Public Works Department to perform the work.
If you have any questions regarding entrance permits you can contact the Public Works Department at (785) 229-3550 or you can download the entrance permit application in pdf format by clicking here.
Franklin County does not require a Building Permit for structures that are used exclusively for agricultural purposes. However, they do have to meet the setback requirements for the zoning district.
A building or structure that is eligible for an agriculture exemption is defined as follows: The use of a building or structure for the raising of crops, animal husbandry, dairying, pastures and hay fields, general farming, truck farming, cultivation of field crops, orchard and nut groves, raising of bees, fish, birds, or poultry, wholesale tree farms, wholesale plant nurseries and uses necessary for the carrying out of the farm operation such as the housing of farm animals, storage of products, storage of equipment, the processing and sale or products raised on the premises.
Franklin County does, however, require that an Affidavit of Agricultural Use be completed, signed and notarized, together with a deed and a site plan showing the location and estimated distance from the property lines of the proposed structure, to be kept on file with the Planning & Building Department. If you have any questions of whether or not your proposed building is an agricultural building or whether it would require a building permit please contact the Planning & Building Department at 785-229-3570 for more information. The Affidavit of Agricultural Use form is available in the Planning & Building Department Office or you can fill the pdf form out and print it off by clicking here.
Franklin County does allow the Temporary Use of Camping Trailers, Recreation Vehicles, Mobile Homes during the construction of a new residence or the rebuilding of an existing residence subject to the following conditions:
- building permit has been issued for the permanent residence.
- The temporary residence shall provide sanitation facilities subject to the approval of the County Sanitarian.
- The applicant shall sign an TEMPORARY USE AFFIDAVIT for the placement of the temporary mobile home, manufactured home, recreational vehicle, camping trailer or any previously existing residence assuring the removal of said temporary use within thirty (30) days and acknowledging that failure to remove such use constitutes a zoning violation punishable by a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500.00) for each day of violation.
- The Temporary Use Permit Application for the placement and use of a temporary mobile home, manufactured home, recreational trailer or camping trailer shall include a performance bond in the amount of five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) to ensure the removal of the temporary housing within the specified time frame.
A temporary use permit shall be permitted in any residential or agricultural zoning district for the use of a camping trailer, recreational vehicle, mobile home or manufactured home as a temporary residence.
The Temporary Use Affidavit is available in the Planning & Building Department Office or you can download the affidavit in pdf format by clicking here.
The Temporary Use Permit Application is available in the Planning & Building Department Office or you can fill out the application in pdf format by clicking here and print it off.
Photovoltaic Panel Installation Requirements
Permits for installation of Photovoltaic Electric Solar Panels WILL BE REQUIRED in Franklin County Kansas, along with the following information at application time:
- Copy of Deed for subject property.
- Site Plan indicating distance from Property lines and other structures (setbacks will be the same as for an Accessory Structure based on the Zoning District).
- Kansas Engineer stamped plans for the electrical design.
- Kansas Engineer stamped plans for the structural design (ground or roof mount)
- A copy of the Master license or Testing Credential of the Electrician doing the install (to be held on file here for future reference, no formal licensing at this time).
- A copy of the Electrician's Insurance showing Franklin County as a loss payee (again held on file).
The Building Permit will be issued as an Accessory Structure for each location at a cost of $75.00.
The building permit application may be downloaded in a fillable pdf document by clicking here, then building department.