Protesting Taxes

Protest Procedure

If you have not met with the County Appraiser to protest the value of your property for the same year you are paying taxes then you may file a protest at the time of paying taxes. Protest forms are available from the County Treasurer or online.

Tax Appeal Form

Please read and follow the instructions on the form carefully. NOTE, if the protest is received by the Treasurer unsigned, the protest is considered invalid and will be returned. The delay may jeopardize your chances for a hearing.

Protest forms must accompany either the first half tax payment, due on or before December 20th, or when the full year tax is paid. If a mortgage company pays your taxes, the deadline to file a protest is extended to January 31 of the following year.

Retain a copy of your completed protest, it will be needed if filing a protest with the State Board of Tax Appeals of the State of Kansas. This is the next level of tax protest if you are not satisfied with the results of your protest hearing at the county level.

Once your protest is received, processed and filed; the County Appraiser notifies you of your scheduled informal hearing. If you are filing a protest on the basis of an illegal tax levy, a completed appendix must be attached to your protest form. If your appeal is successful and your taxes are reduced the Treasurer will send you a new tax statement with a reduced second half amount. If the reduction results in an overpayment of the taxes that Treasurer will issue a refund check.