Noxious Weed | Hazardous Waste

About the Noxious Weed Department

The Franklin County Noxious Weed Division is to assist in the control of noxious weed in Franklin County. The assistance may be by recommending control methods approved by the State, sale of herbicides, and sprayer rental.

The County's control of noxious weeds are on County right-of-ways only. The herbicide products sold can only be purchased for use on land in Franklin County. Franklin County is licensed to sell herbicides for Noxious Weed Control Only. There are primarily four noxious weeds found in Franklin County: Field Bindweed, Johnson Grass, Musk Thistle, Sericea Lespedeza, Common Teasel and Cut-Leaf Teasel. The sites below give a general description of the weeds, plus methods of control and pictures.

For more information on Noxious Weeds use the following links

Noxious Weed_Haz Waste Temp Hours_1200x630

Household Hazardous Waste

The Franklin County Hazardous Waste is located at 2017 S. Elm Street at the Noxious Weed building and is responsible for the proper discarding of many dangerous and potentially harmful chemicals and products.

We CAN accept:

  • Paint | Oil based or Aerosol paints only. Latex paint is NOT accepted.  
  • Stains, Wood Preservatives 
  • Household Chemicals & Cleaners
  • Pool Chemicals
  • All Rechargeable Batteries (ie. Lithium, NiCd)
  • Farm Chemicals
  • Florescent Light Bulbs
  • Oil
  • Antifreeze
  • Transmission Fluid
  • Automotive/Implement batteries

We CANNOT Accept:

  • Explosives
  • Ammunition
  • Infections and Radioactive Waste (This includes Sharps diabetic needles)
  • Gas Cylinders
  • Asbestos